In-TAC Pre-Arrival Services held two online workshops on May 26, 2016: Newcomer Parent Education Information and Taxation in Canada. Thanks to the WebEx video conferencing platform, our settlement counsellors in Ottawa connected with approximately 40 clients in Beijing and Qingdao to deliver the live (real-time) sessions.
The ‘Newcomer Parent Education’ information workshop introduced our clients to the Ontario provincial education system. Topics ranged from childcare to Grade 8.
As a result our pre-arrival clients now have a better understanding of:
– Ontario school boards
– School levels
– Registration process for childcare and schools
– Activities, clubs, and sports available to children and how to enrol them
– Parents’ roles and responsibilities around their children’s education in Canada
The ‘Taxation in Canada’ workshop introduced clients to the basics of Canadian taxation. It provided data taken directly from the Canadian Revenue Agency (CRA) so that the clients received the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding their tax responsibilities.
The session focused on:
– Taxation laws and regulations
– Clients’ responsibilities in filing their taxes
– Tax regulations regarding foreign income and assets
– How to file taxes in Canada
With its interactive design and real-time delivery, clients were able to ask our counsellors questions and receive immediate responses.
Online Testimonial by a current Pre-Arrival Client in China – “I just want to say that you guys are doing an amazing job to help newcomers to know better about the job market, to know better about this country, just fantastic you know. My friend who immigrated to Australia, he said they don’t have such programs and suffered a lot in the beginning. Australia has better weather but you guys have better programs.”