The Release Management Lead will be responsible for release management lifecycle (development, test and into production environments), including scheduling, coordinating and the management of releases for multiple applications across various portfolios within the organization.
He/she will define and drive release standards, processes, focus on continuous improvement while ensuring a stable implementation into both non-production and production environments. They will be responsible for assessing risk, interdependencies and impact to existing and new service solutions. They will also coordinate communications regarding implementations such as service interruptions to business.
Major Responsibilities and Accountabilities
The Release Manager Job function works collaboratively within a Release Management community of practice and with all participants in software development projects supporting changes through their development, test and into production environments.
Typical responsibilities of a release manager include:
• Planning release windows and the overall release lifecycle across portfolios
o Understanding business strategy, IT priorities and project functionality to recommend appropriate project release bundling, timing and schedule
• Communicate key release and project details to both the business and technical teams
• Manages risks and resolves issues that affect release scope, schedule and quality
• Manage and coordinate non-production environment usage in support of release cycles
• Participates and/or leads release readiness reviews, business Go/No-Go reviews, CAB meetings
• Lead and co-ordinate Go-Live activities such as building and the execution of implementation plans and checklists
• Maintains a release repository and manages key information such as build and release procedures, dependencies, and notification lists
• Research and analyze new technologies, methodologies and their application to current software development and configuration management needs
Critical Skills and Competencies Characteristics
MUST have skills/ experiences:
• Proven technical leadership and proven ability to mentor your peers
• Five years or more of release management experience.
• An understanding of code development constructs such as automated build, code merging and branching strategies, automated testing and reporting and process flow control
• Proven experience understanding project, system requirements and functionality, to develop effective test strategies and approaches.
• Proven experience managing large-scale projects delivering cross-functional components from software to middleware and infrastructure
• An understanding and experience with Agile methodologies and tools in a DevOps mode
Nice to have skills/ experiences:
• Experience supporting automated builds and continuous integration – Tools like Teamcity, Jenkins, GIT, Nexus, Confluence, Jira
• Understanding of cloud-native technologies and containerization of services
• Understanding of Platform as a Service paradigms and hybrid deployment topology management
• Understanding of 12-Factor App methodology approaches
• Understanding of Continuous Delivery and Continuous Integration (CD/CI)principles with the ability to integrate in cross-functional technologies into CD/CI pipeline
Academic: Undergraduate degree in engineering, computer science, computer science or equivalent experience (required).
Certifications: ITIL foundations (Asset), PMP (Asset).